Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Other Boleyn Girl


The Other Boleyn Girl is one of my all time favourite books. It tells the story of the rise and fall of Queen Katherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn through the eyes of Anne’s younger sister and the King’s former mistress, Mary.

Unlike most historical fiction, the language in the Other Boleyn Girl is easy to read but not stupid. The setting, the court of King Henry VIII, is rich and detailed. It is all too easy to become absorbed into the world which Gregory describes.

My favourite part of this book was the characters themselves. Each character is so vivid. At times I did not know whether I wanted to slap Anne or give her a hug. The sexist attitude of the men at the court is infuriating for the modern teenage girl to read, the double standards sickening, but it adds to the realism and believability of the story.

I loved this book so much that I stayed up all night reading it, not stopping till I was finished. Not very many books have ever made me cry but The Other Boleyn Girl brought me to tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment