Sunday, June 27, 2010

An Abundance of Katherines


Title: An Abundance of Katherines

Author: John Green

I.S.B.N.: 978-0525476887

I bought this book when I was on Florida earlier this year. I’d seen it on teenreads.com’s must read list and had heard it praised on the podcast Smart Mouths. Though I enjoyed this book, I wanted to like it much more than I actually did.

An Abundance of Katherine’s focus’s around the life of Colin Singleton a child prodigy who has dated, and been dumped by nineteen girls named Katherine. Depressed after Katherine XIX he and his best friend Hassan decide to go on a road trip together before Colin heads of to University in the autumn. The road trip quickly comes to a close when they stop in a little town called Gutshot, Tennessee.

The characters in this story, while not always likeable, are portrayed realistically. One of my favourite things about the book was Colin’s love of anagramming. Try it, it’s harder than you think, especially if like Colin you insist on them being grammatically correct. This is an intelligent novel written for intelligent teens. John Green did not underestimate the intelligence of his audience like many other YA authors.


Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment